Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Sales and the importance of trust

Yesterday I decided to watch a webcast for some information on building a network marketing business.  I am always looking to learn and refine my skills.  I knew that at the end of the webcast there would be a sales pitch.  So it was no surprise to me that at the end of thee program I was hit with an offer to buy the program that the webcaster was selling.

The offer and the products sounded really good.  The information that was given during the webcast was very valuable and I was very tempted to spend money that I did not have to purchase the offered program.

I was taught that it was always a good thing to walk away and think about it for awhile.  I wasn't worried because the special offer was going to be good for a few days and there was a money back guarantee.

So  I walked away to think about if it would be really beneficial to me to purchase this program.   So I then was sent a couple of emails from the guy doing the webcast.  As I read the emails and eventually went to the website to get  the promised free gift, I realized something.  When I signed up for the webcast there was a spot that said only 200 and something slots available.  There were also multiple times and days offered. When I watched the webcast there were over 350 participants.

The next thing that I realized was that this webcast was a regular thing and that this limited time special was constantly being offered.  I was told that the free gift site would be taken down within 3 days, but since the webcast was a regular thing that would not be the case.

One of the emails I received talked about 8 bonus features that would be given free to only the next 10 people who purchased, yet when I went to the free gift site it appeared that those 8 bonuses were being offered to everyone who hadn't purchased yet as extra enticement to purchase the program.

That is where thy lost me.  With the realization that the individual or company was not being 100 % honest in what they were doing, I no longer had any desire to purchase the program.  If they were being dishonest in their sales practices, why would I trust that their program would provide what it said thy would.  Even with the money back guarantee, I had not trust in the product or that the money would be returned if I was dissatisfied.

Had the sales pitch just been forthright and said here is all that you will receive for that price There would be no issue.  Even the free gift had strings attached.  The gift was there, but if you wanted to understand how to use it you needed to purchase the program.

As a salesperson honesty is paramount.  Customers are more apt to purchase from a salesperson that will give the whole picture and not just the parts that make the product look good.  Withholding information is the same as lying.

So when it comes to sales honesty is the best policy.  If you can't be honest about your product and till stand behind it, maybe you shouldn't be selling the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment