Friday, August 11, 2017

Organization, time management and morning routines

Things have been rapidly changing for me the past couple of weeks.  I decided to make some changes.  Things were going okay and I was getting the bulk of my tasks done, but I was finding it too easy to procrastinate on the things I knew needed to get done, but just didn't want to do.

I have used planners and to do lists for over 20 years.  Time management and organization are not new concepts for me and yet, I still found room for improvement.

I read a couple of books on morning routines a few weeks ago.  I was already getting up early and incorporating many good things into my morning.  Through reading these books I found that just adding a few things to my morning routine has allowed me to be more efficient and productive throughout the rest of the day.  I am up at 5:30 and have all my exercise, breakfast, personal grooming, spiritual study, meditation, visualization, affirmations, success reading and blog all done by 8:30 in the morning.

My day used to be ruled by my to do list.  Well sort of.  I wrote down every routine, mundane item that I needed to get done daily, just so that I could cross them off of my list.  If there was something I could put off for fun things, I would.

I changed the way I used my planner.  Instead of a to list, I implemented blocks of time.  Yes there is some flexibility where I can change around those blocks of time, such as switching out my time for business hours and household chores, but the amount of time allotted does not change.  I know what household tasks need to be done daily, so I really didn't need to list that.  I know what tasks need to be done during my business time, so I don't need to list those either.  By specifying what tasks need to be done during what time, I no longer put off the tasks that I know need to be done, for a later time.  Sometimes I get free time earlier because my schedule has allowed me to get things done more efficiently.

So things are getting better, but I must admit that there is still room for improvement.  Right now my business time is doing okay, but I could create and implement a system for keeping track of my contacts and follow ups.  As I gain more contacts and more people to follow up with I know that what I am doing now will not work well.  So that will be the next step in my evolution.

So why do I do all of this?  You may think that abiding by morning routines and schedules are a bit anal an confining.  I have found that through strict time management, morning routines and organization, I am able to do more things than if I just get things done whenever.  I am also able to have more free time and more time to spend with my family.  We all have the same 24 hours in a day.  Its what you do with those hours that will make the difference between success and failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment