Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Changing things up can be a good thing

This week is all about change for me.  My Schedule is undergoing a transition as I begin our homeschooling year.  Plus due to an electrical issue I am having to change my cardio workout.

So it has been summertime and the last few weeks I have been tweaking my morning routine so that I could be more productive.  It has been going well a far as I am concerned.  I have had to make adjustment for unexpected developments such as a new long term house guest.


I was planning on beginning our new homeschool schedule yesterday, but realize that before we could do that we really needed to clean my daughters room.  We had gotten out of the habit of her cleaning it regularly and she had created a fort in it for summer play.  In order to get back into our routine we needed to clean it to a point that it would not be overwhelming to incorporate that chore back into our routine.

So today is the day we go back to school and as a result my routine and schedule is once again making some major changes.  It will take a few weeks to work out the kinks only to have to readjust once we add in co-op days.  This is all good.  Yes the transition is a little tricky but by adding in changes over a period of time instead of all at once, I think that the chaos is a little less.

As part of my morning routine I do 30 minutes of exercise 6 days a week.  I was doing a particular strength training routine 3 days a week and the treadmill for 3 days a week.  I was increasing my pace and resistance on all my routines.  Sunday we had an electrical issue in the house where all the plugs in the room where the treadmill is in stopped getting power.  We had hoped it was just a bad breaker and could be easily fixed by replacing it.  Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Since I couldn't use the treadmill I needed to look for an alternative cardio workout, because I wasn't about to run outside in the dark.  I pulled up a 30 minute cardio workout on YouTube.  At the completion of the workout I realized something.  My boy had gotten to used to my workout and I had no longer been receiving the full benefits of the exercise.  Even with increasing my pace an incline.  So tomorrow I will be finding a new strength training routine as well.  Yes I may be feeling the burn a bit more, but that means its working more.

So yes change can be frustrating and hard, but in the end we don't grow if we get comfortable.  As long as the change is moving you in a positive direction it is a good thing.  It the change is not moving you in a positive direction then a different change needs to happen.  Don't let change scare you.


No comments:

Post a Comment