Monday, June 19, 2017

Tread Carefully When Speaking of a Competitors Products

I am currently involved in a little experiment.  I am trying a competitors product and comparing it to the product that I sell.  Doing this I am taking careful steps to do it honestly and with integrity.

Each week as I am participating in this little experiment I am reporting on my progress using Facebook.  Now, I am using the product and company names while I do this.

Today I was reporting on the results of 5 days of using the competitors products.  The results were not even what I was expecting and I took great care to just record the result and observations.  The two people on my feed who are selling this product took notice and started trying to go down the road that I was making conclusions or using the product incorrectly or that I hadn't tried it for long enough.

Even with the care that I took to not make conclusions at this early point in my experiment it still wasn't perceived that way.  I still have 4 weeks left in the experiment.

As a marketer it is a good idea to recognize that putting down or using derogatory terms about your competition is not the best way to attract people to your product.  It doesn't matter what kind of product you are marketing be it a person in a political campaign, an idea or a physical product of some kind.  People do not like to hear you talk about why the other product is bad.  People do want to hear why your product is good and why it would  benefit them.

With both of the product lines that I sell I even go so far as to show how my products can enhance the use of the competitors products.

I firmly believe that there is enough success in direct sales for everyone who works at it to get it.  There is no need to step on other people's, companies, or product's toes in order to do it.

So remember when asked about your competitor, pay them a compliment and then show how your product will better benefit your prospective customer rather than insulting your competitor.  You will find your audience more receptive.

No comments:

Post a Comment