Monday, September 11, 2017

Ignorance does not relieve us of responsibility.

I want to tell you something.  I made a big mistake.  I had added an AdSense account to this blog in hopes of making a little money without requiring people to pay for  subscription.  Through my own ignorance I did something that caused AdSense to cancel my account.  I didn't mean to violate their rules and I should have known that what I was doing violated the rules.

There is a process to appeal the decision, but I will not be going through it.  I did what caused them to cancel my account.  There are consequences to breaking rules.  Even though I didn't realize I was breaking the rules at the time, the information about those rules is readily available and I just didn't look at them.

Ignorance of laws and rules is no excuse for breaking them.  It is not a reason to escape consequences either.

When we are first starting off in business we make a lot of mistakes.  This is normal and part of the learning process.  As we make these mistakes we may find ourselves offending people unintentionally or even upsetting a customer.  Even though those mistakes may be made out of ignorance or lack of experience that does not relieve ourselves of the responsibility for those mistakes.

What do you do when you find yourself in this situation?  It goes a long way to approach the person and acknowledge the mistake immediately and then take the necessary steps to remedy the situation.  If you make excuses and try to pawn off the responsibility by saying you didn't know something then the person involved will not only not be happy with the results, but will most likely lose all respect for you as well.

If you want to maintain your personal as well as your businesses integrity you must accept the responsibility for your actions regardless of the situation that caused them.

In the short run you may find yourself doing a lot of backtracking or fixing situations caused by mistakes, but in the long run you will find that you create a lot of trust and respect from those who have been involved in those actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment