Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Professional Development for Business Building

Everyone starts somewhere with a limited knowledge.  When it comes to starting and growing a business this is no exception.  Even if you have a college PHD in business there are still things that you can learn when it comes to business.

I have been involved in direct sales for over 20 years off and on.  That being said the biggest thing I have learned recently is how much I don't know about my chosen field.  Things have changed so much over the development in the field of direct sales that there is a constant stream of new and innovative ideas being introduced.

There are several avenues that I have chosen to pursue in order to gain knowledge.  First of all there are a lot of books both classic and contemporary that are filled with great nuggets of knowledge.  I have set a goal of reading 30 minutes of personal or professional enrichment materials 5 days a week as part of my regular business activities.

There are mastermind and meetup groups.  This is where you meet up with like minded individuals and share ideas while networking and expanding your sphere of influence.  This is a great tool because not only do you learn new things but you gain valuable business contacts.

I also have access to company offered trainings, meetings, leadership and conference calls.  If you are with a direct sales company, these tools are invaluable to learning about your products, how your company works and what specials and incentives are being offered.

I have looked at various webinars and coaches and have even signed up for a few of them.  I find that both of them can offer tidbits of information that are readily available elsewhere, but that information is just the hook to get you to pay for a product or service that they offer promising more information or leads.  I personally avoid them unless I get a recommendation from someone else.

The final avenue that I have found is online courses.  There are many sites such as Coursera or Open 2 Learning that offer free online enrichment courses.  I am currently taking one on Early Childhood Learning to supplement my knowledge and better market my Fundanoodle Learning Products.

The bottom line is that no one knows everything about their field.  New and innovative ideas are being brought to light all the time.  Figure out what you think you need to know and seek after that knowledge.  You may find that you know less than you thought.

Taking steps to improve your skill set in your chosen profession will only help you to build your business in the end. Invest in yourself now for a better ability to reach your goals and dreams in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment