Saturday, June 3, 2017

Book Review: Find Your Extraordinary











Today's review is the book Find Your Extraordinary by Jessica Dilullo Herrin COE and Founder of the Stella & Dot Family Brands.

I do a lot of reading, but one of the things that I try to do is read 30 minutes of personal or professional Development material on a daily basis.

This book has some great inspirational stories and chronicles a unique business building journey.  There are some great advice and tips in this book and I walked away with some motivation to build my own business.

What I liked about this book.  Many people who write books like this do so with an eye to recruiting for their company.  Yes the Author talked about her company but not in a way that left you thinking this was marketing material.

What I didn't like about this book.  Especially toward the end I was left feeling that the author was zealous about political hot button women's issues.  Although I do like how she handled the issues she believed that she faced, I wasn't appreciative about her belief that there were issues to begin with.

I believe very much in the traditional roles of women and motherhood.  Yes I am working to build a business, but I will do so at a much slower pace as my 6 year old is very much my priority.  I agree with her point that there is no such thing as a superwomen and that women can't do it all, but I disagree with the solution to that problem.

If the women's rights issues had been left out, this book would have had a wider audience appeal, but by putting these opinions in her book the author has limited the audience to working women.

This is a book where there is both good and bad.  Read it keeping that in mind so you can take away the good business advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment