Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Creating your own system

Today I was doing my morning success reading and came upon a passage about having a system and sticking to it.  What does having a system mean?  It is simply a way to organize your tasks and be accountable for getting them done.

At 21 years of age I was introduced to the Franklin Quest Planning System.  It was eventually bought out by the Covey franchise and became Franklin Covey.  I used that system into my 30's when the local store shut down.   I didn't like ordering things so I decided to change to something I could just go to Wal Mart and buy.  Over the years I have actually gone away from complicated planners.  the ones I use now simply have each month and then each week.  I didn't need to break my tasks into time frames so there was no need for me to have a planner with time slots in it.  For me the simpler planners worked better in creating my own organizational system.

Once again I find myself needing to revamp what I am doing.  Sure there are all sorts of planners that you can spend a lot of money to help you with your personal and business needs.  Why spend money when you don't have to.  More often than not when you finally receive that expensive planner that you ordered, you will find that their system is just not right for you.

I have found that sitting down and honestly looking at my needs to design my own system is better for me.  Right now I just sit down monthly, weekly and daily to write down appointments, tasks and events.  As I am gearing up to become more serious about my businesses I need to reevaluate what I am currently doing and adjust it to fit my new lifestyle.

I have four aspects of my life that I need to organize and be accountable for.  The first one is my household responsibilities, the 2nd one is homeschool for my 6 year old, the 3rd one is my business activity and the fourth one is my personal and social life.  I don't like to have separate planners for each aspect.  I want it all in one place so that I don't have to waste time getting to one of several planners to find out what I need to do that day.

It has come back to needing to block out time to do household chores, morning routines, homeschool, business activities and personal time.  As I create my new system I need to build in accountability and flexibility.  Things happen and sometime our plans need to adjust.

If you want to accomplish anything in life you need to have a plan or system to do it.  Other people's systems may not work for you.  So creating your own system to accomplish what needs to be done is in your best interest.

Here is what to include in your system:  What needs to be done
                                                                  The steps you need to take to do it
                                                                 The time frame it needs to be done
                                                                 A way to motivate you to do it
                                                                 Accountability for getting it done

Creating your own system is not difficult, but it does take time and effort.  That system can mean all the difference between success and failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment