Friday, May 12, 2017

Just because its hard It doesn't mean I can't do it





 Gardening has not been my favorite thing.  There is a reason for that.  I have tried to grow plants several times over the years from outdoor gardening to indoor plants.  My husband says that I am the only person who he has seen kill a spider plant.

  As part of our home school curriculum I decided to do a garden with my daughter this year.  The pictures you see are what my garden beds look like today.  My strawberry plants were planted a little late in the season.  We did get a few small strawberries, but we found that the animals really liked strawberries.  My lettuce is looking pretty good and I am looking at harvesting them in a couple of weeks.

We also planted tomatoes which seem to be thriving so far and a cucumber plant.  These tomatoes and cucumbers are in pots so we will see how they fare.  Now I planted carrots, Kohlrabi, beets, cantalope, beans, and cucumber from seeds in April.  They are growing well.  In fact my pea plants have blooms.

Last week I planted corn & watermelon as well. We do not see sprouting yet, but it has only been a week.

Why am I writing about my gardening exploits?  Well this is one of the things that I have challenges in and yet I am still attempting to do it after numerous failures.  This year may not bring a bounteous harvest, but I will be able to harvest something and that is better than I have done before.  I am encouraged at the progress I have made so far.  As I am working with this years garden I am already looking at what can be done better for next year.

I am a person who has a tendency to stay away from anything that I do not do well.  I am really working on changing that.  I can't get better at something if I don't work on improving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment