Thursday, May 25, 2017

Finding my voice

A few years ago I wrote a book.  It was a work of fiction and I had been attending meetings associated with the Romance Writers of America.  Among the local group were several published authors so they were able to give tips and tricks to getting published.  I finished my book and proceeded to shop my book around.  I actually received a response from a publisher which I was told was unusual for a first attempt.  The letter stated that I had a great idea but they had stronger authors they chose to go with.  I was told by members of the writers group that I needed to find my voice.  That style that made the story uniquely mine.

At the time I didn't quite understand what they meant and I pretty much gave up on the idea of writing.

Here we are today and I am writing again.  No I am not working on a great work of fiction or even what used to be called a dime store novel.  My writing efforts have been channeled into writing this blog.  I didn't read a lot of blogs before I started writing mine.  As a result of this instead of subconsciously copying someone else's style I have developed a way of writing that is completely me.  Nothing I write is artificial or insincere.  What I write comes from the heart and from my own learning experiences.

When I was young I loved to perform.  Singing dancing and theater.  I did Pageants for quite  few years.  I even play the piano and organ.  I learned to perform technically well, learned to interview really well and did everything I could to interact with my audience appropriately, but like my writing something was missing.  There was a genuineness that I was lacking.  It all boiled down to one thing.  I hadn't found my own voice.  I didn't know who I was.  I had spent so much time trying to be what everyone else needed me to be that I had buried who I was very deep.  I continued to do that well into my 40's

It has taken me a lifetime, but I am finally discovering who I am and just where my voice is.  I may one day get another idea for a fiction book and try it again, but for now I continue to find and refine my newly discovered voice.  If you are searching for your own voice, don't get discouraged.  Time and circumstances have brought you to where you are.  You will find it when the time is right and the lessons you needed to learn have been taught.  Finding your voice is a process.  There is nothing you can do to speed it up.  One day you will wake up and realize that you are ready and it will come.  until that day just keep at it and enjoy the journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment