Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Achieving my dream one business at a time.

I will never say that women and some men are't great multi-taskers because they really are.  I have met some wonderful women who are doing so many things.  Wives, Mothers, employees, business owners etc.  I have even met some great people who do multiple businesses.  They are busy and doing well.  There is nothing wrong with their choice for themselves.

As for me I am making a different choice because it is the right one for me.  I am active in church, homeschooling my daughter, taking care of the household, working on my relationship with my spouse and finding ways to serve the community.  I am also working to build a business.  Just one.  I come across so many great companies and products and sometimes I am tempted to look at another company, but I made the choice to only do one at a time and that decision keeps me in check.

You may ask so why have you made the choice to only do one.  I will tell you.  I do have big dreams.  My dreams include being debt free and having the money to do all of the extra educational things I can with my daughter.  I want to drive off a Lexus car lot with a brand new straight from the factory car for the first time in my life.  I want to travel and rebuild the home I live in into my husbands and my's dream home.  I also want to be able to give to charities close to my heart with more than my time and energy.  I also want to be able to help others to be successful and overcome challenges as I have.  So once again why am I only doing one business?

Here is my reason.  I am already a very busy person.  My time and resources are limited.  As a business owner, I want to optimize those resources and for me that means focusing on one business at a time.  I don't want to be the person that builds relationships and when people start asking me what I do start listing several businesses in the hopes that they might be interested in one of them.  I want to be able to say this is who I am and this is the company that I work with.  I believe that it lends more credibility to me as a business person if I am being loyal to one company.

If my goal is to get to the top of a company pay structure and not just to make money, then it makes sense to me to work with one company until I reach that goal.  If I am dividing my time between two or even three companies then, it will take longer for me to reach that goal.  So I think that the choice I have made is motivated by the goal I set.  My goal may be different from those who are doing multiple businesses.

If you are thinking about doing something like this?  Think about what your ultimate goal is for becoming an entrepreneur.  Are you looking to just make extra money and want to have multiple options to offer in order to increase chances of gaining customers? Are you looking to become a part of a company's leadership?  Are you looking for social opportunities?  All of these come into play when you are looking for a company or companies to join.  Some other things you might want to consider as you look at all of your options.  What kind of training and support are you looking for?  How about recognition?  What kinds of products or services can you get excited about?

Once I reach the top of my company's pay structure I might want to look at another challenge.  If and when the time comes I will revisit this choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment