Saturday, August 30, 2014

Stay- at -home Moms are equal rights activists too

Back in the 70's and 80's the feminist movement tried to pass an equal rights amendment.  My mom was against it and now that the feminist movement is trying to resurrect it I am against it as well.  Do I think that women should be treated as lesser because of their gender?  Absolutely not!
I do believe that women and men are supposed to have different roles.  I do believe that women should have the right to choose to join the workforce.  The point is that its supposed to be a choice not a requirement.  I don't want my daughters to have to sign up for the draft.  I don't want the protections now offered to women currently in cases of divorce or abuse.  The equal rights amendment would do just that.
Working women look at stay-at home Moms as traitors to their gender because we choose to maintain  a traditional gender role.  We are not.  We go to college and we make informed decisions about our career choices.  I for one did not believe that is was possible to be a supermom.  If you have children and a career at the same time both parts of your life suffer.  Your family because someone else raises your children, your career because of the downtime required for maternity issues, sick children, school issues and the need to be home with the family instead of working extra hours.
Being a stay-at-home mom requires more sacrifice than having a career and being a mom does.  Why?  As a stay-at-home mom we don't get the intellectual stimulus of a work environment or the social aspect of having co-workers.  We muddle through with very little adult contact because there is no longer a large community of like minded women to share our day with.  This was our choice but I would stand up for the right of those working women to have the choice to do so.
Men and women are not the same and we shouldn't strive to be the same.  I believe that physical fitness requirements for military, police and emergency personnel should be the same for men and women.  Why?  Because what they are required to do on the job is the same.  A women shouldn't get a decreased physical requirement just because they are weaker.  That may prevent some women from doing those jobs but I for one want someone physically able to do the job for my safety. 
I do believe women can hold their own in business, math and science fields and should have the right to do so.
Women don't have to do the same things as men to be equal, we just have to be able to make our own choices for how we live our life. Since we have the rights to own property, vote, work and run our own lives women are already equal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment